246 | M A R | |
part of a dancing gallery. This rather
hurts than adorns the face of the build-
ing.
Near the ends at each side is a window
of extraordinary height, placed between
coupled Corinthian pilasters, and extend-
ing to the top of the Attic story.
The apartments are extremely noble;
but this edifice has the misfortune to be so
crouded with houses, especially on the
sides, that the rooms are dark, and even
in the front there is not a sufficient area
to enlighten the building; nor can it ever
be viewed to advantage, unless in some
future time the heavy load at the top
should be taken off, and a broad street, as
wide as the edifice itself, opened before it
into Lothbury.
MARE street, Hackney.
MARGARET'S alley, Margaret street.
St. MARGARET'S HILL, extends from the
court of justice, which faces the street
thus named, to the farther corner of St.
George's church. Where this court is
now kept, was anciently a church named
St. Margaret's on the hill, which gave its
name to the street. The court-house has
a small colonade that leads to a tavern,
over which is the court-room, where the
Lord Mayor of London tries causes. On
the front of this edifice is the statue of
|
| | King |
|
| M A R | 247 |
King Charles II. under which is the fol-
lowing inscription:
Combustum anno 1670, re-ædificatum
annis 1685 & 1686. Jacobo Smyth,
Mil. & Roberto Geffery, Mil. Præ-
toribus. Impensis S. P. Q. L.
St. MARGARET'S lane, Old Palace yard;
thus named from its situation near St.
Margaret's church, Westminster.
St. MARGARET'S Lothbury. This church
received its name from its being dedicated
to St. Margaret, a virgin saint of An-
tioch, who suffered martyrdom in the
reign of the Emperor Decius; and the ad-
ditional appellation of Lothbury is to
point out its situation, and distinguish it
from the other churches in this city of the
same name.
The old church which was built in
1440, being destroyed by the general
conflagration in 1666, the present stone
edifice was erected in its room, and com-
pleted in 1690. It stands upon the an-
cient course of Wallbrook, on the north
side of Lothbury, and is a plain and neat
building. It is sixty-six feet in length,
fifty-four in breadth, the height to the
roof is thirty-six, and the height of the
steeple 140 feet. The body is well en-
lightened by a row of lofty windows;
over which the wall is terminated by a
|
| R 4 | balustrade |
|